Sunday, August 2, 2009

LFA 10u Pitcher of the Year, Kendahl Sugai

Kendahl Sugai, 10 yo
Champion 12u Pitcher
.
"LFA 10 year old Pitcher of the Year"
.
10yo Kendahl Sugai came to LFA Summer Camp in 2008 and really liked how the change-up can make hitters look silly. She then asked me to teach it to her. In all my 10 years teaching pitchers, I have never seen anyone at any age throw the change up perfectly such as Kendahl did on her first try, after warm-ups. I put a bucket behind home plate or 43 feet and ask the pitcher to throw it very slow with so much control. I was with another pitcher when I heard Kendahl scream and shout, "I GOT IT ! I GOT IT ! In the bucket!!"
.
In the course of Kendahl playing in the 2009 season she had fun throwing the change up and winning a good share of her games for 12u Blue Jays and Acers-Kasner 12u. I think playing up made all the difference. Kendahl learned how to strike out batters older than her. She built confidence in practice and used that confidence in games she won while on the mound. Playing on 2 teams as a starting pitchers is something my goddaughter Shay did but not till she was 12 years old. Playing on two teams can toughen up any one and it says allot about the character of the pitcher...they are dedicated and appreciate the sport personally. I think Kendahl is outstanding for her age and experience. What she has accomplished will set the bar higher for future 10u and 12u pitchers walking into my pitching program. She trained very hard with me and her dad/coach Darin and her other coaches. It's a team effort of coaching and training the pitcher to reach perfection for a particular pitch. Congratulations Kendahl on your outstanding achievement!
-coach Adam
.
"She loves it! I think she just got a kick out of watching the pitch and when coach Adam threw it at her in the batters box she just laughed and laughed after she missed the ball! Later on she stopped laughing and got upset she could not hit it. Now Kendahl enjoys doing that to batters on her own. She works very hard. We have to watch out that she does not over train or over pitch. "
dad/coach Darin Sugai
.
"I created a drill called 1,2,3 walk-ups for outstanding pitchers like my daughter Shay and later for Alexa Derrick of undefeated Emerald Ridge. The 1,2,3 walk-ups is aerobics for pitchers on so many physical benefits. The main thing is conditioning the total body of the pitcher. Distances for the exercise is limited to experience and condition of the athlete. Only a trained professional should evaluated what is best for your pitcher. The remedy for starting pitchers for strong shoulders and rotator cuff muscles and a stronger back where allot of load is placed on during a 45 min work-out or time on the mound in a game is 1,2,3 walk-ups."
Coach Adam
(206)227-9698

No comments: