Sunday, August 2, 2009

14u MVP Pitcher, LFA Come Back of the Year Award, Steph "Triple Threat" Granger




Steph "Triple Threat" Granger
.
Champion 14u Pitcher
.
"MVP - Comeback of the Year Award"
.
Sometimes as athletes we want the victory so bad we are willing to pay the price for it. Practices, Extra Training, Physical Therapy, Pain, Fatigue and so on. A Champion sometimes will go through all of the sacrifices to reach their Dream of becoming a Champion. Stephanie did just that. After recovering from an injury to her ankle and knee while protecting 3rd on a slide-in, put her out of the game and a few games later back-in the Western World Series games in July. Steph was on the mound again but it was not the same as usual. She had to work harder and dig down deeper for strength and determination to lead her team from the mound.
.
It comes and goes. Not everyone likes to play games in pain or extreme discomfort. As coaches you don't want them to. We do our best to ask them to evaluate their discomfort and try to follow doctors orders.
.
For Steph it was shear determination. After struggling and losing all three games on Saturday in Federal Way,Wa. Steph came back on Sunday and helped her team do the impossible. Win all their games and make it into the Championship. That she did and a little extra...won the Championship and will leave her mark in LFA and Softball History of making the biggest come back from personal injury and defeat on Saturday to come back on Sunday to do the impossible. I am honored to know and train Stephanie for over 2 years now. An unbelievable athlete with a believable heart and soul when you get to know her.
Congratulations !!
Coach Adam
.
Dreams do come true!
.
In the late summer of 2007 Stephanie Granger was on a mission... to be one of the Top Pitchers in the State. Honestly, Steph struggled to throw a fastball for a strike over any part of the plate. After evaluating Steph after 1 week of training it was clear to me that Steph really should consider another position in fastpitch! Her parents, Pete and Gail, talked it over with their disappointed daughter. On the second week I allowed Steph back for another chance to show me she had what it took to pitch. It really tore me up inside to tell her, sorry but no. Steph was throwing the ball everywhere but over the plate. I suggested if she worked on her lessons on her own and came back to my training camp throwing the ball over the plate then I would train her. Steph physically had the gift to play any position on the field in my opinion. It was Steph's faith in God and her parents never giving up on her dream of one day becoming a champion pitcher. A few days later I got a call from Steph on the third week and she said, "I must see her now because she has been practicing well. " I almost did not believe her. Sure enough Steph showed me up! She worked out at home and her parents helped her allot. Not ever been in this situation before it turned into a great learning experience for me. I took a chance on Stephanie and it paid off. Most of all I was the one that needed a lesson from Stephanie, I learned to never give up on anyone.
.
Coach Adam
(206)227-9698



No comments: